BC Children’s Hospital furthering development of immunotherapy treatments for kids

Issue: BCMJ, vol. 60 , No. 7 , September 2018 , Pages 347 News

BC Children’s Hospital has joined CureWorks, an international collaborative of leading academic children’s hospitals focused on improving care for children with hard-to-treat cancers by expanding clinical trials and accelerating the development of leading-edge immunotherapy treatments.

Every year in BC, approximately 150 kids are diagnosed with cancer. Thanks to rapid and significant advances in cancer treatments, 80% of kids are now expected to survive. For the remaining 20%, who have cancers that are difficult to treat with traditional therapies, immunotherapy provides new hope.

Working with the newly formed Seattle Children’s Hospital–based CureWorks, researchers at BC Children’s will further the science of a promising type of immunotherapy called “chimeric antigen receptor (CAR) T-cell therapy,” add to the body of knowledge around this innovative treatment, and develop expertise within the research institute and the hospital.

The first CAR T-cell clinical trials will launch this fall at BC Children’s and will initially be available to children with certain types of leukemia who are no longer responding to conventional treatment.

. BC Children’s Hospital furthering development of immunotherapy treatments for kids. BCMJ, Vol. 60, No. 7, September, 2018, Page(s) 347 - News.



Above is the information needed to cite this article in your paper or presentation. The International Committee of Medical Journal Editors (ICMJE) recommends the following citation style, which is the now nearly universally accepted citation style for scientific papers:
Halpern SD, Ubel PA, Caplan AL, Marion DW, Palmer AM, Schiding JK, et al. Solid-organ transplantation in HIV-infected patients. N Engl J Med. 2002;347:284-7.

About the ICMJE and citation styles

The ICMJE is small group of editors of general medical journals who first met informally in Vancouver, British Columbia, in 1978 to establish guidelines for the format of manuscripts submitted to their journals. The group became known as the Vancouver Group. Its requirements for manuscripts, including formats for bibliographic references developed by the U.S. National Library of Medicine (NLM), were first published in 1979. The Vancouver Group expanded and evolved into the International Committee of Medical Journal Editors (ICMJE), which meets annually. The ICMJE created the Recommendations for the Conduct, Reporting, Editing, and Publication of Scholarly Work in Medical Journals to help authors and editors create and distribute accurate, clear, easily accessible reports of biomedical studies.

An alternate version of ICMJE style is to additionally list the month an issue number, but since most journals use continuous pagination, the shorter form provides sufficient information to locate the reference. The NLM now lists all authors.

BCMJ standard citation style is a slight modification of the ICMJE/NLM style, as follows:

  • Only the first three authors are listed, followed by "et al."
  • There is no period after the journal name.
  • Page numbers are not abbreviated.


For more information on the ICMJE Recommendations for the Conduct, Reporting, Editing, and Publication of Scholarly Work in Medical Journals, visit www.icmje.org

BCMJ Guidelines for Authors

Leave a Reply