PITO replies

Issue: BCMJ, vol. 51 , No. 7 , September 2009 , Pages 283 Letters

I will respond to Dr Blair’s original letter from the June issue (“EMRs and specialists” BCMJ 2009;51[5]: 190) and Dr Hwang’s response concurrently.

Through an extensive requirements definition and evaluation process involving over 40 physicians, a breadth of choice of electronic medical record systems has been established for selection and reimbursement through the PITO program. Many specialists, including neurologists, pediatricians, ophthalmologists, rheumatologists, obstetricians, cardiologists, and general surgeons across the province are already using these EMRs. I would encourage physicians considering an EMR to fully evaluate all options, PITO-qualified or not.

The PITO team of physicians and staff continues to refine the program and identify opportunities to not only ensure that the EMRs meet the needs of physicians, but, moreover, to address the challenges and opportunities outlined in the May BCMJ  article “Specialists and EMR Adoption” (2009;51[4]:154). 

While more than 95% of the needs are common across specialties, and in fact the same as those of GPs, PITO is further addressing the remaining 5% that vary between the broad categories of primarily consultation-based subspecialties of internal medicine, surgical specialties, ophthalmology, psychiatry, and pediatrics. Usually these differences relate little to the EMR functionality itself but more to remote access, specialty-specific forms, and interfaces with hospitals.

The PITO program has been in extensive consultation with specialists representing each specialty and major subspecialty to review and confirm specialist requirements both in general and any specific uniqueness by specialty. 

While it is not possible to directly seek the feedback of every specialist in the province, representative input has certainly been sought and acted upon, and representatives of PITO and the Society of Specialist Physicians and Surgeons continue to meet to review the input and address opportunities to enhance both EMR and IT support for specialists, including areas not mentioned by Drs Hwang and Blair such as electronic referral, remote access from hospitals, and electronic delivery of diagnostic and other reports from hospitals and private labs.

—Jeremy Smith
PITO Program Director

Jeremy Smith,. PITO replies. BCMJ, Vol. 51, No. 7, September, 2009, Page(s) 283 - Letters.



Above is the information needed to cite this article in your paper or presentation. The International Committee of Medical Journal Editors (ICMJE) recommends the following citation style, which is the now nearly universally accepted citation style for scientific papers:
Halpern SD, Ubel PA, Caplan AL, Marion DW, Palmer AM, Schiding JK, et al. Solid-organ transplantation in HIV-infected patients. N Engl J Med. 2002;347:284-7.

About the ICMJE and citation styles

The ICMJE is small group of editors of general medical journals who first met informally in Vancouver, British Columbia, in 1978 to establish guidelines for the format of manuscripts submitted to their journals. The group became known as the Vancouver Group. Its requirements for manuscripts, including formats for bibliographic references developed by the U.S. National Library of Medicine (NLM), were first published in 1979. The Vancouver Group expanded and evolved into the International Committee of Medical Journal Editors (ICMJE), which meets annually. The ICMJE created the Recommendations for the Conduct, Reporting, Editing, and Publication of Scholarly Work in Medical Journals to help authors and editors create and distribute accurate, clear, easily accessible reports of biomedical studies.

An alternate version of ICMJE style is to additionally list the month an issue number, but since most journals use continuous pagination, the shorter form provides sufficient information to locate the reference. The NLM now lists all authors.

BCMJ standard citation style is a slight modification of the ICMJE/NLM style, as follows:

  • Only the first three authors are listed, followed by "et al."
  • There is no period after the journal name.
  • Page numbers are not abbreviated.


For more information on the ICMJE Recommendations for the Conduct, Reporting, Editing, and Publication of Scholarly Work in Medical Journals, visit www.icmje.org

BCMJ Guidelines for Authors

Leave a Reply